We quit too quickly. We want to get by with the absolute minimum. We bail out after our obligation is completed. In looking for the easiest path we fail to develop the muscle and the endurance for the second mile and we miss the opportunity that most often lies in doing the difficult and denying our rights to rest, relaxation and respite….It was in this context that Jesus said, essentially, “…if a man asks you to walk a mile with him, do it. Then walk another mile with him.” Matt 5:41
Genesis 24:35, “And the LORD hath blessed my master greatly; and he is become great: and he hath given him flocks, and herds, and silver, and gold, and menservants, and maidservants, and camels, and asses.”
Galatians 3:29, “And if ye be Christ’s, then are ye Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.”
There are some universal laws of life and we will examine few.
What Is A Law?
A law is a principle based on the predictable consequences of an act or condition.
For example, the economic law of demand and supply.
There are some universal laws like the law of gravity, the law of flotation and the law of sowing and reaping.
Genesis 8:22, “While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.”
In life, therefore the success of a man or woman depends on what they do with the major laws of life.
Success in life does not come by fasting and praying alone. Many people are quick to blame everyone for their woes without realizing that they may be the main cause.
The law of going the extra mile differentiates the men from the boys in life.
What Is The Extra Mile?
- Going beyond what is usual or expected
- Going beyond the ordinary level or degree
- Doing more than what you are paid for
- Doing the unusually and uncommonly
- Exceeding the expectations
- A Refusal to stop where others will stop and a desire to go further than others will go.
- To make more of special effort of achieving more than is expected of you
- It is what takes to add a “star” to the A’s of life
- The law of extra mile is the Jesus’ law of success
Matthew 5:41 “And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain”.